Skip Navigation
Find What You Need

Begin Your Search

Notary Services

Free Notary Services in West Chicago 

Did you know you could get easy access to free public notary services right here at the West Chicago Public Library? In compliance with Illinois notarial legislation, our authorized personnel are prepared to help you with many of your notary needs at no cost!

The library and our notaries are not able to help you with all types of documents, nor are we able to help at any time. Not all staff members are qualified notaries public, so it is essential that you make an appointment and work with our notaries public to determine if, and when your document can be notarized for free at the library!

Appointments are required to use the notary service at the West Chicago Public Library District. Appointments can be made using the form at the bottom of this page, and all notary appointments start with that application! After you have filled out the form, one of our team of notaries will reach out to you within 2 business days. We have notaries that are ready to help patrons in either English, or Español, but our notaries are not legally permitted to speak to patrons through an interpreter.

Document Authenticity 

If a document or set of circumstances raises questions about authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty, Library Notaries have the right to refuse service, just as any other notary public would. 

Visit West Chicago Public Library for reliable and free notary services, and please contact us with any questions. The library requires all patrons requesting notary services to make an appointment. Some appointments may be available the same day, but it is better to schedule an appointment as much ahead of time as possible. If you have additional questions, you can give us a call at 1-(630)-231-1552, or just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch with you about your notary needs shortly!

More Information About Notary Services at WCPLD

  • AN APPOINTMENT with one of our notaries! Please fill out the form at the bottom of the page, and one of our notaries will be in touch with you to schedule an appointment!
  • Patrons must present a current (non-expired) government-issued identification that includes a photo and signature before notarization can take place. 
  • Notaries are bound by the notary laws of Illinois and are unable to notarize papers that do not follow these rules. 
  • Notaries are not permitted to give legal counsel about document notarization. 
  • Neither the library nor its users may request witnesses while they are there. Witnesses must have a valid photo ID and be personally acquainted with the person whose document is being notarized. 
  • Notaries are not permitted to speak with clients through a translator. 
  • Notaries are unable to certify signatures or copies of papers. 
  • Deeds, mortgages, refinancing paperwork, and the Government I-9 form/Employment Eligibility Verification are not eligible for notary services. 
  • Vital records – Birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificates and citizenship or naturalization certificates. You must request a certified copy from the county clerk, local registrar, or state Department of Public Health/Vital Records. 
  • School records – Only the school registrar has the authority to provide certified copies of student records. They must have a school seal and a tamper proof envelope, so these must be requested directly from your school. 
  • Military IDs or government common access cards (CAC) 
  • IRS tax returns – The IRS can provide certified copies of tax returns or a free tax transcript. 
  • Government Form I-9 or Employment Eligibility Verification
  • Documents of conveyance of real estate, mortgages, other real estate loans, documents or transactions or property transfers, including but not limited to refinancing or other types of real estate loans, purchases, sales, and beneficial interests in land trusts.
  • Deeds, wills, livings wills & trusts.
  • Political petitions.
  • Documents that are already signed or copies of documents.
  • Documents recorded by the County (e.g. birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates).
  • Apostilles – a form that certifies that a document that is issued in one country to be used and considered valid in another country.
  • Notary Service is NOT available for Codicils, Depositions or Power of Attorney as these types of documents can require technical or legal knowledge that is beyond the scope of this free service.
  • Illinois law requires that a Notary and the patron seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. The Library Notary is not permitted to make use of a translator.
  • There are other exceptions and documents that we may not be able to help you with. Please fill out the form at the bottom of the page to have one of our notaries reach out to you and guide you through our process.
  • If we cannot notarize your document, we suggest checking with your local bank, office store, print shop, or parcel shipper as they may be able to help!